THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES, TRINIDAD: MSc Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable Development in the Caribbean (Expected graduation: April 2017)
Thesis: Red-billed Tropicbird nesting success (external supervisor: Dr. Patrick Jodice, Clemson Uni)
THE OPEN UNIVERSITY, UNITED KINGDOM: BSc (Hons) Environmental Studies
ECOLOGICAL PROFESSIONALS FOUNDATION, ST. EUSTATIUS
President 2016 - present
ST. EUSTATIUS NATIONAL PARKS (STENAPA), GALLOWS BAY, ST. EUSTATIUS
Terrestrial Areas Manager 2014-2016 / National Park Ranger/Education Officer 2006-2014
Manager of the Quill/Boven National Park and Miriam C. Schmidt Botanical Garden; terrestrial biodiversity monitoring (birds, iguanas, bees, butterflies, flora, invasive species): analyzing data and writing reports; writing funding proposals; operating as part of the Management Team and Board member of the Dutch Caribbean Nature Alliance; facilitating and working with visiting scientists and researchers; managing staff, interns and volunteers; giving public talks; writing (social) media articles.
REPORTS AND PUBLICATIONS
- New Bird Records for the Island of St. Eustatius, Dutch Caribbean, with Notes on other significant sightings (H. Madden, R. Hensen, S. Piontek, S. Walton, H. Verdaat, S. Geelhoed, J. Stapel, and A. Debrot). Caribbean Journal of Ornithology, 2015.
- Assessment of the Breeding Success of Red-billed Tropicbirds on St. Eustatius (2014-2015) (H. Madden), St. Eustatius National Parks, 2015.
- Assessment of the Breeding Success of Red-billed Tropicbirds on St. Eustatius – A Follow-up Study (H. Madden), St. Eustatius National Parks, 2014.
- The Lesser Antillean Iguana on St. Eustatius: A 2012 Population Status Update & Causes for Concern (A. Debrot, E. Boman & H. Madden), International Reptile Conservation Foundation, 2013.
- CF Reptiles & Amphibians (A. Debrot, E. Boman & H. Madden), 2013.
- Assessment of the Breeding Success of Red-billed Tropicbirds on St. Eustatius (H. Madden, A. Ellis), St. Eustatius National Parks, 2013.
- Preliminary Checklist of the Bees of St. Eustatius (S. Bush & H. Madden), Insecta Mundi, 2013.
- Notes on the Flowers and Distribution of the Caribbean Island Endemic Ipomoea sphenophylla (Convolvulaceae) (S. Bush & H. Madden), Harvard Papers in Botany, 2012.
- The Scorpions of Sint Eustatius, Lesser Antilles (R. Teruel & H. Madden), Euscorpius, Marshall University, 2012.
TRAININGS, CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS
The Ecology and Conservation of Migratory Birds (2015), Smithsonian Institute, Washington DC: attendee.
BirdsCaribbean Regional Meeting (2015), Jamaica: presenter (topic: Red-billed tropicbirds on St. Eustatius).
Seabird Monitoring Workshop (2014), St. Kitts & Nevis: trainer.
Seabird Conservation Workshop (2012), The Bahamas: attendee.
Tropicbird Monitoring Training (2012), St. Eustatius/Saba: attendee.
Advanced Terrestrial Bird Monitoring Training (2011), St. Eustatius: attendee.
Terrestrial Bird Monitoring Training (2009), St. Eustatius: attendee.
Main field of expertise:
Name of organisation:
Type of organisation:
Main project your organisation is involved with, in relation to (sub)tropical biodiversity:
Terrestrial ecological research